WHO I AM
I’m a Brazilian photographer based in Warwickshire. Although it's in my DNA, I only discovered my passion for photography in 2016 when I moved to the UK. Exploring new places with my camera helped me keep myself distracted while going through difficult times. Soon I realised how much I love being inside my viewfinder – is where I feel the happiest! - and I’ve not stopped since then.
I’m fascinated by the magic behind analogue photography and the iconic designs of old cameras (I have a few that belonged to my dad ♥). I shoot mainly on 35mm and 120 film nowadays and I love nostalgic black-and-white photos!
My pictures are a true expression of myself and how I see the world around me. It’s so powerful to be able to capture a piece of history and stamp my persona into a photograph!
MY Photography BACKGROUND
I'm proud to share that my granddad Gilton ❤ (check the tribute I wrote for him here) was a professional photographer who inherited my great-grandfather's Camera shop/Darkroom - the first founded in my hometown Tatui in 1918 – the famous ‘FOTO MENEZES’!
Although my dad chose a different career, he was a great amateur photographer! I used to complain when he was taking so many pictures/recording videos. When I was a rebellious teenager, I didn't like being photographed; I even covered my face when people tried 🙈😂
Now I understand the power of a photograph and we have great family photos thanks to him ❤
My granddad’s shop sadly shut its doors in 2015 after almost a century, but it left an incredible legacy in Tatui’s history. I'm sure many pictures inside family albums/hanging in people's houses were either developed in his darkroom or printed there when the digital era came. What a great honour for me to be a 'Menezes'! 📷❤
- Selected by 'Forgotten Films' to be published in their 2nd Edition of Analogue Photography Magazine - August 2023
- Part of the Judging Panel - LeamPhoto Fest23 photography competition and exhibition - Gallery PHOTIQ in Leamington Spa.
- 'Nature in Warwickshire' photography competition by Galanos Goes Green (Southam) 2023 - winner of 18+ category.
- Published by Docu Magazine - Docu Book - Best of Documentary & Street Photography - Vol. 9 2023.
- Monochrome Photography Awards 2022 - Honourable Mention - Amateur Street Category.
- Tokyo International Foto Awards 2022 - Honourable Mention - Self-portrait Category.
- Leam PhotoFest 2021 - Gallery Choice Award winner.
- 'Identity' Exhibition at LSA Art Room - 14th August to 10th September 2023 in Leamington Spa.
- 'Connection' Exhibition at LSA Art Room - 09th July to 13th August 2023 in Leamington Spa.
- Warwickshire Open Studios - Summer Art Weeks - 17th June to 02nd July 2023.
- 'Time & Place’ Exhibition at LSA Art Room - 5th June to 2nd July 2023 in Leamington Spa.
- 'Walk the Line' Exhibition at The House of Smalls Art Gallery - March 2023 in Chipping Campden.
- 'Love' Exhibition at LSA Art Room - March 2023 in Leamington Spa.
- 'Walking Into the Past' Solo Exhibition: December 2022 - January 2023 at Gallery PHOTIQ in Leamington Spa.